CA Fires Updates & How to HelpPosted on October 31st, 2019
We are so grateful to all of the brave firefighters and first-responders who continue to fight 24/7 in both Northern and Southern California to keep our communities and families safe. To all those who are affected, evacuated, or without power: we are here for you. Please reach out if you need our help in any way!
We also want to share some great news: we’re happy to report that the Kincade fire is now 60% contained, and that our team visited our Porter Creek home and tell us that all is safe and well.
Unfortunately, the Los Angeles fires are still very active, and many of our congregations and families are still being impacted.
So we wanted to provide you with some ways you can help both communities:
In Northern California
- Make a donation to the Jewish Family and Children’s Services (JFCS) “California Wildfires Disaster Fund”
- Donate food or volunteer through the Redwood Empire Food Bank
- Donate to the Sonoma County Resilience Fund to support long-term recovery efforts in Sonoma County.
In Southern California
- Visit the LA Jewish Federation’s Wildfire Relief Efforts page for a list of ways to get information and help.
- Support the LA Country Animal Care Foundation, which is rescuing animals who were affected by the wildfires.
- Support the LA Country Fire Department Foundation
As we pray for the fires to be extinguished as soon as possible, here is a meaningful prayer for those affected by fire written by our Rabbinic Faculty Liaison, Rabbi Paul Kipnes of Congregation Or Ami.
Rabbi Allie Fischman, Ari Vared and the entire URJ Camp Newman & NFTY team