Join us for a magical camp Shabbat!
Shabbat is one of the most magical times at URJ Camp Newman. As a community, we gather together to sing, pray, eat, dance and celebrate our Jewish tradition next to the startling beauty of the San Francisco Bay and under the setting sun. It’s a powerful and tranformational evening – when our community feels the most ruach, or spirit, when the bonds between our campers grow even stronger, and when Shabbat as a practice comes alive. We invite you to be a part of it!
Who is invited?
The following individuals are welcome to camp:
- Prospective Camper Families
- Synagogue Visitors*
- Board Members
- Donors & Community Leaders*
- Staff Friends & Family
* I’m sorry, but if you have a child or grandchild at camp during your visit, we invite you to make arrangements to visit on another date. Thank you!
Friday – Shabbat – July 26 Schedule (TENTATIVE)
- 3:30 p.m. Prospective Camper Families (Only): Welcome to camp, check in, meet & greet, Q&A & tour!
- 4:30 p.m. All Other Guests: Welcome to Camp! Arrive, check in & take a camp tour.
- 5:00 p.m. Directors’ Reception
- 5:20 p.m. Kabbalat Shabbat / Staff & Guest Circle
- 5:40 p.m. Shabbat Services
- 6:40 p.m. Dinner, singing and dancing
- 9:00 p.m. Laila tov / Good night!
What to Wear
To make Shabbat really special, we wear the color white when we join as a camp community.
- Pants or Shorts – White or Khaki preferred
- Shirt – White is preferred
- Dress or Skirt – Mostly white preferred
- Shoes – REQUIRED AT ALL TIMES AT CAMP! Solid Sandals or closed-toed shoes are best for our uneven terrain. NO FLIP-FLOPS. Camp is very firm about this rule. Your shoes MUST cover your toes and/or be securely strapped to your foot.
For Synagogue Visitors
Check here to see if your synagogue or local Jewish community organization has scheduled a Shabbat visit at camp on this date. For more information, contact your congregation directly.
Visiting Our Region
Welcome to #NewmanbytheBay!
We are delighted to welcome you to URJ Camp Newman’s 2019 home: Cal Maritime. For directions, click here. Our Camp is located in Vallejo, within a short drive from the Wine Country, San Francisco and Oakland. See our Vallejo Region Guide for recommendations of places to dine, shop and explore.
Visitor Policies - READ BEFORE REGISTERING!
Visitor Policies – Please read before registering!
- Visitor registration is required.
- Parents: You may not have a child/grandchild/relative in session during your visit because this can make other children feel sad and cause problems in the cabins. We are happy to accommodate your visit, with your child(ren), at another time!
- If you are under 18: You must be accompanied by a parent or guardian AT ALL TIMES while you visit camp. If you arrive at our gate without your own parent present, sadly we will not be able to welcome you into camp. Please email email@example.com with questions.
- Camp is a NUT-FREE facility.
- Visitor fee: To cover the additional costs we incur for visitor’s food, parking and staffing, and to ensure every dollar is spent creating an amazing summer for our campers, all visitors must register and pay a $48 per person fee (children under 15 free)
- You will be asked for your payment information when you fill out the registration form.
- For questions or problems while registering: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.