Discounts, Grants & Scholarships
Our goal is to make camp affordable for every family. See how to apply below!
Think camp is out of reach? Think again! We believe so much in the transformative power of camp that we are committed to ensuring that no child is denied a potentially life-changing experience at Camp Newman, regardless of financial need.
We’re here to help! We will work hard to find every discount, scholarship, and grant you qualify for to make camp a possibility for your family.
Contact us: Our registrar, Kim Press, is standing by to answer all of your questions and to make the application process easy and confidential: KPress@urj.org or call 415-991-0259.
Grants, Discounts & Scholarships
Here are just some of the grants, discounts, & scholarships available. For details on how to apply, see tab below and contact our registrar, Kim Press, who is standing by to answer your questions and make the application process easy and confidential: KPress@urj.org or call 415-991-0259.
- First-time Camper Grants of up to $1,000 off!
- Multi-session Discount of $250 off (applies if you register your camper for more than 1 session at Camp Newman, or 1 session at Camp Newman plus 1 session at 6 Points Sports California or Sci-Tech Academy West)
- Sibling Discount of $100 off for second child, $150 off for additional children.
- Referral Discount of $150 for referring a first-time camper family.
- URJ Congregational Scholarship – We’ll match a portion! Did you know that most congregations have scholarship and discretionary funds to help send children to Camp Newman? For Summer 2020, we will match a portion of your URJ congregational grant. Details coming soon. In the meatnime, make sure to apply directly to your congregation for a scholarship by contacting your Rabbi, Cantor, Educator, and/or Congregational President. They will inform you of the congregation’s application requirements.
- Additional Community Scholarships. Many community-based Jewish organizations offer camp scholarships. Contact your local Jewish Federation, or other Jewish family organizations to ask about availability. Please note: If you are in the East Bay or San Francisco Federation regions, please fill out the Camp Newman Scholarship application – see Step 6 below on “how to apply.”
- URJ Camp Newman Scholarship Fund. See tab below for details on how to apply.
Application Dates & Deadlines
Starting in November 2019: Apply to other available funding sources (see “How to Apply” tab for resources).
January 2020: Scholarship application will be posted January 2020. Click on “How to Apply” tab. Scholarship applications can only be submitted AFTER your child is enrolled in camp, your deposit is received, and you’ve applied to other available resources – see below for more info.
April 1, 2020: Deadline for submitting Camp Newman Scholarship Application.
After April 1 – Some scholarships are still available. Please contact Kim Press for information.
May 15, 2020: For those who applied before April 1, Camp Newman scholarships are awarded May 15.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
How to Apply
Follow these easy steps to apply!
REGISTER YOUR CHILD FOR CAMP NEWMAN
If you plan to send your child to Camp Newman, Register them now! Don’t wait until you hear about scholarships – there may not be any space left by then! Please note that you’ll need to register & pay a deposit before filling out the Camp Newman Scholarship Application.
Please note that we expect families to approach any and all funding sources available before applying to Camp Newman for aid.
APPLY FOR A FIRST-TIME CAMPER INCENTIVE
First-time camper families may qualify for up to $1,000 off! If your child will be attending Camp Newman for the first time, you may be eligible to receive a first-time incentive grant from the Foundation for Jewish Camp and/or Camp Newman! Incentives are available nationwide, with various conditions and amounts. Please contact our Registrar, Kim Press (firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-392-7080) to see if you are eligible. If so, she will provide you with details on how to apply.
DETERMINE WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD & BEGIN PAYMENTS
We expect families to help contribute for camp as a demonstration of your commitment to the camp experience. This also factors in your favor when applying for other financial aid. Make plans to pay what you can afford, and begin making regular payments as soon as you can.
APPLY TO ALL AVAILABLE LOCAL COMMUNITY SOURCES
Did you know that most congregations have scholarship and discretionary funds available to help send children to Camp Newman? For Summer 2019, we are also excited to be offering a 100% congregational match! Contact your Rabbi, Cantor, Educator, and/or Congregational President. They will inform you of the congregation’s application requirements.
Many community-based Jewish organizations also have camp scholarship programs. Contact your local or regional Jewish Federation, or other Jewish family-servicing organization to find out about availability. Please note: If you are in the East Bay or San Francisco Federation regions, please fill out the Camp Newman Scholarship application – see Step 6.
REACH OUT TO FAMILY & FRIENDS
Be willing to ask! Every member of a child’s support network – grandparents, aunts & uncles, close family friends – stands to benefit when a child has a transformative experience at camp. That is why they are often so willing to support a child in their family attending camp.
SUBMIT A CAMP NEWMAN SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
Will be posted in January 2020 | Deadline: April 1, 2020 | Award Notification: May 15
After you have exhausted all available financial resources above, families who still need additional funding can complete a Camp Newman Scholarship Application – which asks for contact and financial information, and a report on how you did in acquiring scholarship dollars from others. We will notify you of our decision by May 15th. Application will be posted in January.
Please don’t hesitate to contact our Registrar, Kim Press – 415-991-0259 or email@example.com – who can answer questions and walk you through the application process!