Starting tonight, October 11th, many of our beloved congregations are planning gatherings for our camp community to sing, pray and reflect, and to provide comfort and hope. We encourage you to reach out to your synagogue to see if they have an event planned. Here is a list, which we’ll continue to update:
To donate to Camp Newman, click here.
Wednesday, October 11
- Congregation Or Ami, Calabasas: Tonight (October 11) from 5:30- 6:30pm. Camp Newman Support service prior to Simchat Torah service, Info: 818-880-4880
- Temple Emanu El, San Jose: Tonight (Oct 11) at 5:30pm. Simchat Torah service honoring Camp Newman. Wear your camp apparel! Info: 408-292-0939
- Congregation Rodef Sholom, San Rafael: Tonight at 7:45 (after midrasha) Teens: Gather together in the sanctuary with Rabbi Lara for strength and love. (NFTY CWR’s Samara Leader and Sierra Meszaros will be present. Info 415-479-3449.
Friday, October 13
- Temple Beth El, San Pedro: Friday (10/13), 7:30pm. Shabbat in honor of Camp Newman. Info: 310-833-2467, email@example.com
- Peninsula Temple Sholom, Burlingame: Friday (10/13), 6:30pm. “Holding Camp Newman in Our Hearts,” worship service. (Camp Newman Board Chair, Michelle Tandowsky, will be there.) Info: 650-697-2266.
- Peninsula Temple Beth El, San Mateo: Friday (10/13), 6:30-7:30pm. Info: 650-341-7701.
- Congregation Beth Am, Los Altos: Friday (10/13), 6:15. Shabbat in solidarity of Camp Newman, a worship service followed by a song session with Mike Mason at 7:30. Info: 650-493-4661.
- Congregation Rodef Sholom, San Rafael (10/13): Friday, 5:45pm oneg ; 6:15pm worship service (Cheryl Lazar and Kim Press from our Camp team will be there). Info: click here.
- Temple Sinai, Oakland: Friday (10/13), 6:30pm-8pm. Pop-up Camp Shabbat. (Camp faculty Rabbi Yoni Regev, Rabbi Mates-Muchin and Cantor Keys will be present.) Info: 510-451-3263,
- Temple Isaiah, Lafayette: Friday (10/13), 8pm. Camp Newman Solidarity Shabbat. (Loal Isaacs and Dana Washofsky from our team will be present) Info: 925-283-8575
- B’nai Israel, Sacramento: Friday (10/13), 7:30pm. A worship service focusing on camp this Shabbat. Info: 916-446-4861.
- Temple Or Rishon, Orangevale: Friday (10/13), 6:45pm. Celebrating Shabbat highlighting our connections to Camp Newman with songs, memories, stories and hope for the future. All are welcome! Info: 916-988-4100.
- Temple Beth Israel, Pomona: Friday (10/13), 7:30pm. All campers, camp families and supporters of Jewish camping invited to a special Shabbat highlighting the contributions of Camp Newman and for those affected by SoCal wildfires. Info: 909-626-1277
- Ahavat Shalom, Northridge: Friday (10/13), 7:30pm. “Holding Camp Newman in our Hearts,” a worship service. Bring your tallit, camp music and wear white. Info: 818-360-2258
- Bnei Tzedek, Fountain Valley: Friday (10/13), 6pm. Shabbat Hanefesh, a worship service that will mention Camp Newman and say the Mishaberach. Info: 714-963-4611
Saturday, October 13
- Congregation Emanu-El, San Francisco: Saturday (10/13), 6:30 pm, A Camp Newman Support Event with Noam Katz and Friends, Free. (Rabbi Rick Jacobs, Ruben Arquilevich, Tracey Klapow, Michelle Tandowsky, and many others from our board and camp team will be present). Info: Click here. 415-751-2535.
Sunday, October 14
- Temple Chai, Phoenix, AZ: Saturday (10/14), 6:00pm. Havdalah at the home of Rabbi Mari Chernow in honor of Camp Newman. Info: 602-971-1234, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Temple Sinai & Congregation Ner Tamid, Las Vegas: Sunday (10/14), 5:30pm. Vegas Strong in Song – a benefit concert for victims of the Route 91 tragedy and a time of healing for those who love Camp Newman. Locaiton: Ner Tamid, 55 N Valle Verde Dr, Henderson, NV 89074. For info, visit their Facebook event page.
Monday, October 15
- Temple Israel, Long Beach: Monday (10/15), 7pm. Those with a connection to Camp Newman/Saratoga/Swig are invited to join us at Sharon Amster Brown’s home to share memories, sing favorite camp songs, hear updates from Newman, and support one another during this emotional time. Info: Please RSVP to Sharon at email@example.com, if you plan to attend, 562-434-0996
Thursday, October 26
- Online! URJ Camp Newman Benefit Concert hosted by Jason Mesches, Charlie Kramer, Josh Goldberg, and Rachel Wolman. The concert starts at 9:30 EST, 6:30 PST and will be streamed live from the URJ Camp Newman Facebook page.
Sunday, December 3
- Sing for Camp Newman with Dan Nichols! Camp Newman families, Dan Nichols fans & #newmanstrong supporters: Join us in song on December 3rd at Congregation Rodef Sholom! Free event and no need to be Rodef member to attend. You can find more info on their Facebook Event page. Congregation Rodef Sholom: 170 N. San Pedro Rd., San Rafael, CA 94901.
Thursday, December 7
- Latkes & Vodka Event: Join Temple Dor Dorim’s Sisterhood in Weston, Florida, for their annual Latkes & Vodka event, 7-10pm! They are asking guests to bring a check made out to URJ Camp Newman to help the camp rebuild from the devastation of the California wildfires. Questions? Contact Iris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, December 16
- URJ Camp Newman Benefit Concert at Shir Hadash: “Light the Way to a New Camp Day” – 7 PM – 8:30 PM. Congregation Shir Hadash, 20 Cherry Blossom, Los Gatos, CA 95032. Join Cantors Devorah Felder Levy, Amanda Edmondson, Kay Greenwald, Jamie Shpall, and Camp Newman song leader Daniel Bernstein for a fun benefit concert filled with Camp Newman melodies, Hanukkah lights, and spirit! Funds raised will go directly to Newman to provide relief in the aftermath of the Northern California fires. All donations are appreciated, and suggested values include $18, $36, and $54, or any form of Chai. All welcome! Info: Click here for flyer or visit shirhadash.org
Saturday, January 20
- Concert & Havdallah to benefit URJ Camp Newman at Stephen S. Wise Temple, Los Angeles. 5pm. (look for Ruben, Allie, Tracey, Jordanna, Rachel Slaton)